log poetry...prose commentary

experiences..........thoughts..........pictures..........poetry..............

Friday, August 04, 2006

To Whom it May Concern

(a cover letter in free verse)

Me: the eager applicant for Oak Springs Elementary
Program Manager position

You: hirer for - Oak Springs Elementary
Program Manager position

See attached resume

See my elementary experience and know I am no novice
At this: caring for kids

See my counseling of college students
See my after school
Program management

See my Leadership Development degree
But most importantly:

See me.

See past my adequate written qualifications
See how hard my heart beats
It beats to give to (and not up on)
Youth

Whose hearts are hard from beatings
From neglect, From hunger, From pessimism,
From “you can’ts” and “you don’t haves” and “you ain’ts”

My heart believes kids are (valuable/capable)
My heart believes kids can (hope/grow/laugh/succeed/do anything)
My heart believes kids have (dreams/potential)

My heart beats
Let my eyes see
Let my hands meet needs
Let my empathetic ears hear grief
Let my encouraging mouth speak my belief

See me…in an interview, please.

Sincerely,

Matt Graham

5 Comments:

  • At 8/04/2006 2:00 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    i've been applying to lots of jobs.

    today i sent a THIRD resume to this company. they just keep opening up sweet positions to counsel kids at risk of school dropout. and i just keep applying.

    today, weary of run-of-the-mill booty-kissing and well-written self-inflation...i wrote my cover letter in free verse.

    seriously you guys. this blog post is exactly what i sent to this company...with no explanation. bretty gutsy eh? or was it a geek move? what do you think?

    should i get crazy with the poetry on future job applications?

     
  • At 8/04/2006 2:27 PM, Blogger Hendrick Family said…

    I want to hire you right now!

    That's the way to do it Matt.

    You would not want to work for someone who could read this and not hire you.

    This is a great way to interview them and make them think they are interviewing you.

    Really.

    Love it.

     
  • At 8/04/2006 10:41 PM, Blogger D.O. said…

    Being the business-degree-holding layman that I am, I say that's a good way to go about doign it. The fact that you're in Austin probably even helps your cause (and I mean that in a great way). I too am in the process of trying to convince a company to hire me... crazy.

    But let us not forget that in a few years we're going to move to Asia and buy out one of those sweat shops.

     
  • At 8/05/2006 3:42 PM, Blogger Vanessa Houk said…

    well, did you get the job?

     
  • At 8/05/2006 5:22 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    i'll let you guys know if i get the job...or any job.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home