log poetry...prose commentary

experiences..........thoughts..........pictures..........poetry..............

Thursday, November 24, 2005

the rainbow warrior



















out of the darkness
of dependence
'neath tinted windows
over black paint

red
yellow
orange
white
magenta
purple
blue

stripes
run up
down
curved and
straight

shouting
"1988!"

i was in first grade
the first day
GMC
rolled the Rainbow Warrior
onto streets

today,
i'm in eleventh

and Jimmy
is more than SUV
He
is my identity
in him
i am free

in control

i decide where i go
when i go
to what station
i tune MY radio

and i know
he can get me there

six cylinders
jumping
gears spin wheels
tires squeal
under folded down
back seats
making space to load
equipment
so i can play shows
and mow lawns i'm paid to mow

he takes care of me
so i take care of Jim

oiling
gassing
adorning
rearview mirror
with rubber chicken

cops will stop us
'cause
different is suspicious

i will wreck him
because i
drive in daydreams

mom and dad
will try to convince me
to paint Jim black
and lose the lines

but i will fight for my
warrior's stripes
and he will ride again
in full glory

in college
his hood will fly high
on highway

someday closer
to two-hundred thousand miles
i will sell him
for a less interesting
Chevy Blazer

Jim will work for the
U.S. Postal Service

eventually
he will be
a first car
again

making a lucky
young lady
unique


this is an audio post - click to play

6 Comments:

  • At 11/24/2005 5:36 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    ode to my first car. tell me about your first car, or bike, or moped, or shoes.

     
  • At 11/25/2005 4:27 AM, Blogger Justin Hancock said…

    I didn't wear shoes a lot when I was a kid. Which is funny because I was running around in South Texas (fire ants, cactus, hot earth, etc.) When I did though, I wore these little cowboy boots my Mom bought for me. I think she always wanted me to be cowboy.

    The first shoes I can remember getting beyond those cowboy clunkers was a generic pair of pump-ups. I remember wanting the real things really bad and then going to Wal-Mart to buy the $10 equivalent. I think the air pockets broke within the first two weeks.

     
  • At 11/26/2005 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My first bike was a White and Neon Green Huffy! I got in in the 2nd grade. I was already a little big for it when I got it but I wanted it so bad. No one else had a bike so bright that it practically glowed! I rode and rode that bike until my knees would hit me in the chest b/c I was way too big for it.

    GO HUFFY!

     
  • At 11/30/2005 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh how i love and miss the rainbow mobile!

     
  • At 11/30/2005 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh how i love and miss the rainbow mobile!

     
  • At 12/08/2005 12:46 AM, Blogger faith said…

    i still don't think i've had my first car-- still playing music vehicles with my family members, still driving something big and white.
    but i can say that when i was 5 i had some indian moccasin boots from the smoky mountains and i've never forgiven my feet for growing out of those boots. they were my identity.

    "jtlwitzc" = a person who likes to wait in a timely manner before commenting (specifically pertaining to matt g's blog)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home