log poetry...prose commentary

experiences..........thoughts..........pictures..........poetry..............

Thursday, January 25, 2007

horizons







(painting by faith)

you are all, all
always
too distant to be
familiar

like negligent fathers
strangling their only Sun
you left-handed ones
entomb him
while you wise ones await
him, star
rising in the East

the night chases him away
in silent loudness
of orange where you laud him
and purple where you

bruise him black because…

do you loath because
like me
you can never touch him?

well, I can’t ever touch you and
it is you
i chase
each time I run

you evade
at precisely
the same rate
i pursue

always moving
you are everyplace
one at a time
sometimes in sight
but never where
i am
until where
i am is where
i was

i feel for all of you
what you must feel
for the Sun

seems to me
you meet him
every evening
and morn

but you don’t

seems to me that
i will never reach
you horizons toward whom
i run

but I do

do, at least,
attain to my destinations
for my heading is set
to their constant coordinates
not your fickle false ones

your only consistencies:

you’re gone
on my arriving

you’re always
far as the eye can see

and it is for this distance
i do not fear
wounding
any of you
by my boasting

for my voice dissipates
in the space-

falls splashless
in the ocean-

between us

i hear my mother calling

and run not-
to the homeless horizon of her voice
but rather
to the soulplace

that is she

who
receives me not-
as star untouchable

but as a daytrip heart
come home

4 Comments:

  • At 1/25/2007 3:32 AM, Blogger Matt said…

    (painting by Faith)

    this is another one of the poems i wrote at sea on the cruise to cancun with mi familia.

    those evasive sneaky horizons are a sorry sort. screw them...if you go for a jog this week keep your head up...pick something stationary and run to it...a tree a building...

    but for goodness sake...don't keep your eyes on the horizon! it is moving away from you at the exact same rate at which you jog toward it! it's a trap!

     
  • At 1/25/2007 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Something about this one...

    I like it.

    (not that I don't like all your words - these just sound familiar to my heart)

    Love and miss you!

     
  • At 1/28/2007 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Matt. Just found you from Kari's Blog. We dont' blog, but would like to hear from you..give us an update. Ginger Stelk
    gingerstelk@hotmail.com, ryanstelk@hotmail.com.

     
  • At 1/28/2007 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I swear I talked to your mom on the phone today at work. She sounded just like her, was really fun & kept calling me girlfriend. Anyways, HI! -FLO

     

Post a Comment

<< Home